Wednesday, November 14, 2007

No charges for 10-year-old fire starter

LOS ANGELES - A 10-year-old boy who admitted to starting a 38,000-acre fire last month that destroyed 21 homes in northern Los Angeles County will not be charged, prosecutors said Tuesday.

There was no evidence of intent by the boy who accidentally ignited brush outside his home by playing with matches, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said in a statement.

Authorities are referring the case to the Department of Children and Family Services to determine if further steps are necessary. No other information about the investigation was released because the case involves a minor.

Law experts had said prosecutors would have trouble getting a conviction against the boy because it would be difficult to prove he intended to cause harm.

Source [

No comments:

Post a Comment