Wednesday, December 5, 2007

c'mon Jodie ... you can do it.. you just publicly thanked your partner Cydney

Jodie Foster gives thanks to Cydney through thick, thin

Actress Jodie Foster speaks during the Hollywood Reporter's Women in Entertainment breakfast, which honored her at the Beverly Hills Hotel on December 4, 2007 in Beverly Hills, California. (Charley Gallay/Getty Images)

Jodie Foster gave a really moving and surprisingly candid speech when she received the Sherry Lansing Leadership Award at the 16th annual Women in Entertainment Breakfast on Tuesday.

Toward the end of her remarks, Jodie thanked those nearest and dearest to her. Among them was "my beautiful Cydney who sticks with me through all the rotten and the bliss."

Since she has always been so intensely private, I was surprised at the public acknowledgment of who I presume is Cydney Bernard, the woman who is widely reported to be her life partner.

The two-time Oscar winner was funny and heart-warming during the speech, which brought some in attendance at the Beverly Hills Hotel to tears.

"I feel fragile ... unsure, struggling to figure it all out, trying to get there even though I'm not sure where there is," she said. "I've been working in this business for 42 years and there's no way you can do that and not be as nutty as a fruitcake."

Jodie and I had a lighthearted chat prior to the breakfast. I told her that just about everyone was either gushing about her or wanted to meet her.

"Really?" she said, smiling. "I think it's a lie. I think they're just saying that because I'm here."

I wondered if she ever gets tired of being feted since she's got a boatload of awards already.

"Well yeah, I get tired of getting dressed up," she admitted. "If I could get feted in my pajamas, I'd be there, I'd be like at the opening of a doorknob."

I wondered if Jodie, who turned 45 last month, was going to do more movies since she seems to do, at most, one a year.

"One movie a year is really way too much even honestly. I (once) did two movies in a year ... and it almost sent me over the edge."

She had a rare box office misfire this fall with "The Brave One," which opened at No. 1 but went on to gross just under $37 million domestically.

"You make movies for the right reasons, hopefully, and that's a movie that I'm probably more proud of than anything I've done in many, many, many years. Some movies aren't for everybody."

Jodie, the mother of two children, told me that she has learned to juggle professional commitments with family.

"The one way that I've been able to make sense of it is to say that my job is something I do from 9 in the morning to 6 at night or whatever it is and my life starts after that," she said.

Source [
DailyNews-LA]

Previous post today when Jodie uses the self-reference "gentleman"

No comments:

Post a Comment