Sunday, March 23, 2008

Singer Corinne Bailey Rae's husband dies of suspected drugs overdose

The husband of singer Corinne Bailey Rae has been found dead from a suspected overdose, sources said today.

Jason Rae, 31, a saxophonist with the Haggis Horns - who have worked as a backing act for Amy Winehouse - was discovered at a flat in the Hyde Park area of Leeds yesterday.

It is understood that Bailey Rae, 29, was not at the property at the time.

Tragic: Corinne Bailey Rae's husband Jason Rae, pictured with her at a London party last year, has died of a suspected drug overdose

West Yorkshire Police said officers investigating the death had arrested a 32-year-old man on suspicion of supplying controlled drugs.

He was later released on bail pending further inquiries.

A forensic post-mortem examination was carried out on the body last night.

But a police spokesman said the results were inconclusive and police were awaiting toxicology test reports.

Fans posted messages of support on Bailey Rae's website.

Paul K, from London, wrote: "Our thoughts and prayers are with Corinne and family at this sad time. Such a tragic waste."

In action: Saxophone player Jason Rae performs on stage. He was found dead last night

At Corinne Bailey Rae's mother's house in Roundhay, Leeds, a neighbour confirmed her mother had returned to the house late last night but had left again early today.

A barman at The HiFi club in the centre of Leeds - where The Haggis Horns were due to play tonight - declined to comment but confirmed that no bands were playing tonight.

The couple while Bailey Rae was working as a cloakroom attendant at a Leeds jazz club. They married in 2001.

"I was Corinne Bailey. I added on Rae, my husband's name, when I got married," she said, "there's no hyphen - stops it being posh!"

She recently said of her marriage: "When I got married, I felt like I was older in my head.

"I knew Jason was the right one for a mixture of reasons. I really liked him, and I think that's a good place to start from.

"And I really liked hanging around with him. With Jason it was like I couldn't see enough of him."

She also revealed that she made Rae propose to her a number of times to make sure that he meant it:
Musical couple: Jason Rae from the band The Haggis Horns performing with wife Corinne

"I made him propose a few times. I wanted to check he was serious. And then I just wanted to make sure.

"And eventually, I thought, 'Yeah, it's a good idea.'"

Bailey Rae has spoken of how her marriage inspired her songwriting, saying previously: "I focus on the fact that it's not all just warm and fluffy feelings and that it's work.

"It's great to argue with someone and know that there's a real commitment underneath it all - it's not about slamming doors and walking away, but about working things out.

"I do write a lot about love, I guess, from all these different angles, because it's a complicated thing and I think it's worth a couple of songs."

She continued: "I feel really lucky that I found someone that I want to spend my life with at such an early age.

"It's great. We're both musicians and we have a lot of friends and feel part of a community - we're not just watching TV on our own together like a lot of people, so I think it's cool."

In an interview in May 2006, Bailey Rae said she had never tried drugs.

She told the Observer: "I'm not interested in manufacturing a high in an attempt to have a good time. It's not really a good time, is it?"

Leeds-born Bailey Rae is a singer-songwriter and guitarist who released her self-titled debut album two years ago.

The record went to number one in the UK charts and sold over a million copies in the US, as well as producing the hit single 'Put Your Records On'.

A BBC poll of music critics that year named her the number one predicted breakthrough act.

She became only the fourth female British act in music history to reach the top of the charts with a first album.

She was named best newcomer in the Mojo and Q Awards and picked up two Mobos.

Last month she was recognised at the Grammy awards for her contribution to the record that won album of the year, Herbie Hancock's 'River: The Joni Letters'.

She recently spent a week working on her new album at Warren House Farm studio near Scarborough, north Yorkshire, according to reports.

The Haggis Horns are described on the band's Myspace page as "an eight-piece live funk extravaganza" who combine funk, soul, hip-hop and afrobeat with jazz virtuosity.

The group has performed and recorded with top artists including Amy Winehouse, Mark Ronson, Nightmares On Wax and Corinne Bailey Rae herself.

Ronson has called them the "best f****** horn section in the world", according to the website of the band's record company, First Word Records.

They released their debut album, Hot Damn!, last September. s were due to play tonight - declined to comment but confirmed that no bands were playing tonight.

Source [DailyMail]

FOLKS .... DRUGS KILL !!! DO YOU GET IT YET ?!?!


Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On


Corinne Bailey Rae - Like A Star


Corinne Bailey Rae - Trouble Sleeping



Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae (USA)
Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae

Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae - Rarities (USA)
Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae - Rarities


No comments:

Post a Comment