Monday, April 21, 2008

DJ Frank takes a bow at 94

I've been DJ'ing since 1982. This guy got me beat by a longshot.

DJ Frank, 94, calls it a day

A POPULAR Bridgwater DJ is hanging up his headphones at the grand age of 94 - bringing to an end his impressive 50-plus year career as the town's mobile music man.

Frank Bartlett, of Parkway, says the strain of setting up his equipment is getting too much for him but he insists music will remain a huge part of his life.

Frank has exhibited his extensive music collection at hundreds of weddings and parties throughout his distinguished DJ career, which began in the 1950s entertaining the masses at Bridgwater Town Football Club.

He said: "I've very much enjoyed my time as a DJ and I will miss it dearly, as will many of my fans.

"I have been under the weather recently and it has just become a little too much for me.

"I have thousands of records to keep myself occupied while I'm at home, so music will always be a part of my life."

Frank even admitted he turned down a chance to show off his skills on the Paul O'Grady show.

He said: "I received a phone call from ITV a few years ago. I thought about it but turned it down. It wasn't for me."

Frank's DJ sets included hits spanning four decades and he prides himself on being able to cater for all ages.

He said: "I mainly play the hits guaranteed to get everyone onto the dance floor. I have all the hits and everyone really laps it up."

Frank played his last set six weeks ago, filling in for a band at a wine circle event in Parkway, to everyone's enjoyment.

Source [Bridgwater Mercury]

No comments:

Post a Comment